Over 100 patients were safely evacuated after a fire broke out at a dedicated COVID-19 hospital at Jagatpur on the outskirts of Cuttack on Monday.
The incident took place just after noon at Sadguru Hospital, which has been declared a special COVID-19 hospital by the Cuttack administration. While the hospital has a total of 152 beds, 127 beds, including 20 intensive care unit (ICU) beds, were occupied.
“All the patients were rescued safely and they were immediately shifted to the nearby COVID facilities,” said Cuttack District Collector Bhabani Shankar Chayani.
“All the critical patients in the ICU were rescued first,” Mr. Chayani added.
“The fire originated due to short circuit in an air-conditioner unit in the second floor. Since the room was closed, it got filled with smoke. People felt suffocated. The smoke moved upward and affected patients admitted in the third and…